Welcome to the Orangeburg County, Voter Registration: FAQ! It's a great day in Orangeburg County!
Employee Website

Frequently Asked Questions

Got a question about Voter Registration? Here is a list of frequently asked questions that might give you the answer. If you have a question that is not on our list, please contact the Voter Registration and Election Commission office via the Contact Form on the bottom of the page.

  1. Be a citizen of the U.S. (Proof of residency)
  2. Be at least 18 years of age
  3. Be a resident of the County and polling precinct in which the elector (voter) offers to vote
  4. Neither be under court order declaring the elector mentally incompetent nor serving a term of prison resulting from the conviction of a crime
  5. Not have been convicted of a felony, or any offense against the election laws, unless the elector has served his/her entire sentence, including probation and parole time, or has received a pardon
A. Any library or health department, the Chamber of Commerce, Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Social Services, or the main office of the Voter Registration and Election Commission located at 1437 Amelia St, Orangeburg, SC 29115.
A. Potential jurors are randomly selected from voter registration lists as well as driver's license and DMV identification lists. Your chances of being selected for jury duty are just as great if you have a South Carolina driver's license.
A. Your polling place is determined by what voting precinct boundary you reside in and is designated on the bottom line of your voter registration card.
A. Orangeburg County has two Congressional Districts. Joe Wilson is the Congressional Representative for District 2. James Clyburn is the Representative for District 6.
A. Yes, as long as you have a valid, unexpired South Carolina driver's license. You may also request a duplicate card by mail, phone, or in person from the Voter Registration and Elections Office.
A. State law allows for absentee voting in advance of any election if the elector qualifies under one of the various reasons allowable such as for members of the Armed Forces, physically disabled, persons on vacation, persons 65 years of age or older, etc. Please contact the Office of Voter Registration to see if you are eligible for absentee voting. For your convenience you may reach the Office of Voter Registration with inquiries about absentee voting via the Contact Form on the bottom of the page.
A. If you will be absent from the County on Election Day, you may request an absentee ballot. You may be absent due to employment, vacation, etc. If you are over 65 years of age, you are qualified to vote absentee. Members of the military and their dependents are eligible to vote absentee. Other qualifications are: US citizen temporarily residing outside the US due to employment (serving with the American Red Cross, USO, Peace Corps, etc.), a US citizen permanently residing outside the US, physically disabled individuals, students (their spouses or dependents also), jury duty, emergency hospital patient (admitted 4 days prior to election), death or funeral in the family (3 days prior to the election), attending a sick or disabled person, a certified poll worker or poll worker, or confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial.
A. No. Only the individual, a member of their immediate family, or a designated authorized representative may request an absentee application.
A. No. Ballots are given to the voter either in person or by mail only. The individual in question may vote in our office which is the absentee precinct or by mail. In emergency situations, please check with our office.
A. Yes. You do not have to vote in a Primary Election to be eligible to vote in a November General or Special General Election.
A. The State of South Carolina does not register by party. You will choose a party only when you vote in a Primary Election. If you chose a party in a Primary Election, when the next Primary Election comes you are not obligated to stay with that party. You may switch back and forth, if you so desire.
A. Yes. A voter can request assistance if they are: blind, physically disabled, or unable to read and write. A voter may receive assistance from anyone they choose except their employer, an agent of their employer, or an officer or agent of his union.