The staff at the Orangeburg County Voter Registration and Election Commission office is constantly recruiting new poll workers for each election. Poll workers are trained prior to each election. Poll workers are paid for attending a training session and for working on election day. Poll Workers are given the chance to serve the community and become involved in the democratic process.
A Poll Worker’s responsibility on election day includes:
- Ballot distribution
- Compliance with the election laws
- General assistance to the voters
- Operation of the voting machines
- Processing of voters
In order to qualify as a Poll Worker, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a registered voter in South Carolina
- You must be able to remain non-partisan and neutral while working an election
- You must be prepared to work the entire Election Day, from 6:15 am until 7:30 pm (or later, if necessary)
- You must be willing and able to attend a Poll Worker Training Session (2 to 3 hours)
If you are interested in this opportunity, please complete the Poll Worker Application (PDF). You can email the Poll Worker Application to Voter Registration with the subject, Poll Worker Application, or fax ot to 803-533-6215 with a cover letter reading Poll Worker Application.
When your application is received, you will be added to our mailing list. We will keep you informed of upcoming Poll Worker Training Sessions and Elections.
For more information on how you can become a poll worker in Orangeburg County, please contact the Voter Registration Office.