County of Orangeburg - Division of Public Services
Orangeburg County Animal Shelter Animal Control

Our Mission

The mission of the Orangeburg County Animal Control office is to protect the health and welfare of citizens in the communities, to educate the public about animal control-related laws, and to provide professional and efficient service.


Animal control is a professional occupation equal in importance to fire, ambulance and police servers. Animal control officers, like other officers, protect the health and welfare of citizens in our communities. In addition they respond to animal conditions of danger and cruelty. Officers patrol to pick up and receive surplus of stray animals that could cause human injury, automobile accidents, property damage or spread disease. They respond to citizen complaints and issue citations to owners when they are found to be in violation of the law.

Program Manager - Officer L. Porter
Officer V. Sandifer
Officer I. Hood
Data Clerk - B.J. Griffin

All personnel can be reached at (803) 534-0045 or (803) 533-6178

Hours & Locations

The Shelter is open from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The Shelter is located at 1596 Ellis Avenue in Orangeburg. For directions to this location, click here.

Reclaims & Turn-Ins

If you have an animal to turn in to the Shelter or are looking for a lost pet, you may visit the Shelter from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

All animals must be turned in directly to Orangeburg County Animal Control. There is no guarantee as to the disposition of any animal that is brought in.

Adoptions & Viewings

All adoptions are handled by Orangeburg SPCA representatives. The SPCA is a separate entity from the Orangeburg County Animal Control.

The SPCA is open for adoptions from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and is located at 225 Ruf Road in Orangeburg. If you have an adoption question, please call (803) 536-3918 today and an SPCA representative will be glad to assist you.

Fees & Fines

There will be a $15 charge per animal reclaim and a $5 per day boarding charge after 5 days.  Any violation of Orangeburg County Animal Control Ordinances may be fined up to $500 per violation.


Question: What office should be called to report animal complaints?

The Orangeburg County Animal Control Office takes all complaints regarding domestic animal disturbances such as barking dogs, dogs running at large, etc. within the County. The responding Officer will investigate the complaint and initiate action for resolution as required. Contact the Animal Control Office at (803) 534-0045.

Question: What should be done with dead animals?

Contact Animal Control at (803) 534-0045 or the Division of Public Services at (803) 533-6164 for finding assistance in disposal of dead animals on public property or roads. If the dead animal is on private property, the property owner is responsible for removal.

Question: What should be done with an injured or wounded animal?

Notify Animal Control at (803) 534-0045. Please take the animal to a veterinarian if it is your pet.

Question: Does Orangeburg County have a leash law?

Orangeburg County's Animal Control Ordinance outlines the definition of what is considered an "animal at large" and specifies what constitutes legal justification for taking such animals into custody. Please refer to this ordinance (available at this link) for more information.

Question: Who do I contact if I get bitten by an animal?

Seek immediate medical attention. If a citizen witnesses a dog or cat attacking a person, notify the rabies control officer in the health department (South Carolina DHEC can be reached at (803) 898-3432) or Animal Control Office to receive instructions as to what to do. Remember, “Rabies Kills” - no bite should be ever considered minor!

Question: Do dogs and cats have to be vaccinated for rabies?

Yes. Orangeburg County Ordinance states that all dogs and cats must be currently vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian and the vaccination tag must be displayed around the animals neck.

Question: Does Orangeburg County Animal Control have dog and cat traps available for the public to use to capture stray animals?

No, the traps are used by officers on complaint calls on a first-call, first-serve basis, pending an emergency situation. The citizen would need to contact Animal Control, (803) 534-0045, and once an officer has responded to your complaint you must sign an agreement allowing a trap to be set.

Question: Who removes and handles wildlife such as ducks, raccoons, snakes, etc.?

The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, (800) 922-5431, handles all wildlife.

Question: Can I surrender my animal to Animal Control and is there a fee?

No, pet owners are responsible for finding homes for their unwanted pets. You may contact Animal Control for assistance if you have questions.

Question: Does Orangeburg County have an adoption program?

No, not at this time. Currently all animals are adopted out of the Shelter by a non-profit organization called The Maude Shiffley SPCA. This is a separate entity from Orangeburg County. They may be contacted at (803) 536-3918 to receive information about animal adoptions and availability.

Question: Does Animal Control spay or neuter pets?

No. Any person wishing to have their animal spayed or neutered can contact a local veterinarian of their choosing.


( Back to Top )